Sunset Cliffs


I grew up near the Pacific Ocean. Whenever I go back to San Diego to visit, I have to go and walk down by the cliffs; it's a crucial part of surviving the time in a city that's grown way bigger and busier than it was when I was a kid.
A couple of years ago, in October, my husband and I visited my mom after a niece's wedding in Berkeley. I spent some lovely time down by the cliffs with my sketchbook.
Now things have changed. My mom has died, and the house I grew up in will likely be sold. But those cliffs, my ocean, and all I love about that part of the world will still be there for me...

6 comments:

Constance McLennan said...

What a beautiful sketchbook spread--framable. I imagine a whole book like this would be marketable--a real work of art.

June said...

Such beautifully sketched memories will retain those moments forever, and let you relive that day - the scents, the sounds, the sunlight - every time you look at them. This is a very moving post Consie, thanks for sharing your memories with us.

Janeen Mason said...

Consie, growing up by the Pacific, lucky you. My dad sold boats and I grew up in a house on the shore of Lake Erie. I know the feelings inspired by a childhood on the water. Your sketchbook is a treasure. Have you seen the book "An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers" by Danny Gregory? You would love it.

Consie said...

Thanks for the lovely comments... and yes,Janeen, I'm familiar with Danny Gregory's book; I have a copy of it on my bookshelf. It's a lot of fun to peruse...

Phyllis Harris said...

I always love seeing your sketchbook entries, Consie. Such a wonderful way to keep your memories alive. Every time you read these entries I'm sure you can visualize and even smell the scents of these moments in time.

It inspires me to give my sketchbook another go. Thanks for sharing this!

Janet said...

Oh, thank you for sharing this, Consie. What an inspiration. I'd love to know about your sketchbooking process -- how much you plan, or if you just play it by ear (or eye). The design of these pages is just beautiful.