Fledging, and flying...



Two years ago this spring, I spent a whole lot of time watching a clutch of peregrine falcons as they went from a incubated pile of 5 eggs to 5 handsome brown fledglings playing tag in the skies above Rochester NY. Thanks to the Rochester FalconCam, I was able to have all the visual information I needed to create my picturebook Peregrine's Sky, which was published this past November by the Western National Parks Association. It was fantastic to watch those babies go from tiny white fuzzballs to strong young birds. And it was amazing to see how desperately they wanted to fly, before they were able to do so. That ended up being a core part of my story. It was a wonderfully fun project, and I learned tons...

1 comment:

June said...

Stunning illustrations Consie, and I think it shows that you were confident with the subject because of the web cam references you were able to access. What a great way to get to know your subject.