Off Like The Wind

I’m finishing the last spread of a picture book I’m doing for Walker Books for Young Readers called Off Like the Wind, The Story of the Pony Express. The author is Michael Spradlin.
The whole book is a journey!

This Pony Express book has something I’ve craved in a picture book manuscript for a long time – action! Lots of action.


I’m also using my son and nephew in it. In fact, I’m putting myself and my wife in the last spread!
All final art is oil on canvas.

Layne Johnson

7 comments:

Phyllis Harris said...

Very impressive, Layne!!

Ellen B said...

Fantastic! Your finishes just become more and more beautiful + skillful over time.

Marilee said...

Wow - these are beautiful, Layne. Do you know horses really well or do you work from photos? And for the buffalo, too?

Layne Johnson said...

Thanks so much guys! It's been a fun book. The author requested me because of my horse art. I do use photos at times - many that I've taken, for anatomy details. I often use Poser for horse positioning too, but you have to be careful because Poser has a habit of doing funky anatomical things sometimes. Just because you can make a Poser horse's legs and feet do what you want, doen't mean it will look correct. Know what I mean? Anyway, it all gets painted in oils in the end :~)

Layne

Anni Matsick said...

Fabulous job, Layne!

Breadwig said...

Stunning. Great color too. Wowsy wow wow.

Sherry Rogers said...

Really great work! Love the color palette!