Mixing real & digital mediums...

I've been having a fun time mixing real & digital mediums in my new book. It's a historical non-fiction book, but I'm trying to make it seem like fiction. It's been fun... especially revelling in the past.

This book is set in 1907, so it's been a challenge trying to figure out a way to make it seem old fashioned. I'm not sure if I've succeeded, but it was fun trying. For instance, this scene required illustrating the 1904 World's Fair! (Glad I only have to do that once.)



I also uploaded some videos of parts of my bookmaking process... thinking about trying some movies for possible school talks.

It comes with vintage music too!











:0)

8 comments:

Marilee said...

That was fun, John. It's interesting seeing how others work... and I loved the sound effects!

Maryann Cocca-Leffler said...

Love it- ANd I think kids would love it too,BUT you need a picture of you with a brush in hand or at the computer..BRAVO.
Who is the book for? Maryann

Liza Woodruff said...

Fantastic, John! Your wonderful art and your computer skills- mind boggling!!

John Nez said...

Thanks... it's for G.P. Putnam's & Sons.

It's been a fun book to do.

jn

Phyllis Harris said...

It was great fun seeing your stages of work! Can't wait to see the book in print!Wonderful job, John!

erin e kono said...

John, I'm as impressed as ever with your skills! It's so fun to see the reference material, etc. I think the kids will dig it as well, let us know what happens when you get it all together for them.

e

Anni Matsick said...

Wonderful balloon rendering, it really floats!

Amy Huntington said...

I can't wait to see the book! I really like the atmosphere behind the balloon. It makes it feel like you are really wayyy up there!