Haiku Challenge


Most mornings I walk three miles with the dogs as the start to my day. It's still cool, and usually I see plenty of interesting things. I walk a loop on a lovely paved trail around a local lake/reservoir. Sometimes my mind stays nice and empty the whole time, sometimes I solve creative problems that I didn't know were bothering me, and sometimes I just play with words as I walk and look and listen. Sometimes that results in a haiku. The 5-7-5 form seems to fit what I am capable of as I walk, both to come up with, and also to remember until I get home and can write it down in my sketch journal.
Yesterday, we came upon a brood of Canada goslings grazing with their parents. The goose and gander got all perturbed as we came walking by, and hustled the babies down to the water to swim away. And every one of those fluffly squirts stopped at water's edge to drink, and drink, and drink. They were still drinking after we passed.
So - here's a challenge: play with some words and see what you can come up with. And please share with all!

2 comments:

Marilee said...

I like your haiku! I'll have to give it a try... I love watching goslings and baby ducks wiggling around in ponds. They always steer clear of my dog, too - although Eddie, my Westie, doesn't even notice them. Now, if they were squirrels...

Anni Matsick said...

What a lovely way to start the day! I can see where the tranquil water would be soothing and inspirational. How lucky to have the trail.