Digital or Acrylic

Since we have been chatting so much about the Wacom Cintiq and digital art I thought I'd share a post from my own blog.


Lately, I have been working in two different mediums. For educational work, I get a lot of requests for my digital watercolor style and then with trade work or other projects I have been doing my traditional acrylic style. I experimented with a piece that I sketched in Painter using my Wacom Cintiq and then painted it in digital watercolor and then did another one in traditional acrylics and as you will see I made a few changes.

5 comments:

June said...

An interesting expreiment Phyllis.
Out of interest, which took longer to do, and which do you like the best?

Phyllis Harris said...

The traditional acrylic took just a little bit longer but not much. As of right now I enjoy doing the traditional acrylic more but it's also nice to be able to do both types so I don't get bored. I also find it helps to lessen the strain with my cubital tunnel syndrome(my elbow)if I go back and forth from digital to traditional painting.

Making changes on a painting is easier on the digital pieces, although, if I scan my traditional art into Photoshop, I often make changes without having to start over.

June said...

Thanks for the reply. I am slowly finding a way of working digitally myself.
Digital seems to be an option that allows for lots of adjustments with ease, so it seems a good one to have available.

jpdmom said...

I can appreciate both mediums, I come from a computer art degree and many years in animation and digital art. Now I do all my work with acrylics and "press" the art into tiles - both ways are very satisfying. I love your art style. The Blog looks great, glad I found it!

Kate said...

Phyllis - I really like the traditional acrylics best. I guess perhaps because the market is so saturated with digital art right now. I would love to get a Wacom tablet of my own and try it out, and I thnk I could enjoy using this method. But it is still so nice to see artists using the traditional media.

BTW, I saw this illustration on the Picturebook site and fell in love with the character (the bottom one). She is such a sweet girl! Your artwork gives me an idea of what kind of heart you must have as a person.