Snowflake in August...



This year is my first year to do a snowflake, and it's been a lot of fun to artistically transport myself to cold weather in the middle of summer. My snowflake is entitled "Kisses from Cora", and it is a woodblock print, edition of one print only. After printing the image in oil base ink on watercolor paper, and painting it when it was dry some 10 days later, I then adhered the image onto the backside of the woodblock itself. So, the front is the color image, and the back is the actual carved block, with the remnants of the ink dried upon the wood.
Consie

8 comments:

June said...

Do you mean you carved into the actual wooden snowflake that was provided?
Interesting approach, and a lovely snowflake.

Consie said...

I had a woodworking friend re-cut my wooden snowflake out of quarter-inch basswood with his scroll saw. Then I carved the design into the basswood (which is a classic, lovely wood to use for woodcuts). That's what you see in the backside of the snowflake - the carved basswood.

"e" said...

Consie! That is SO COOL!!
I just LOVE it!
:)
e

Jane Dippold said...

WOW!!! Beautiful idea and a unique approach!

Ellen B said...

I second this -- "Cool!"

Cecelia said...

All of these are so cute. Takes us out of the summer heat, for sure!
Cecelia
http://cecelia-throughmyeyes.blogspot.com/

Nancy Bea said...

Wow, this is so beautiful!

Diane said...

What a clever idea. It's great to see the object that made the art as well as the finished piece together. I agree, really cool!

Diane