rocks...


Two days ago I had one of those crabby, grouchy, I'm-never-going-to-finish-this-project days. With a deadline of January 1 for my picturebook art, I just felt like it was all junk. Just a stupid day. But maybe a day like that, now and then, is a good thing, because yesterday was just the opposite. Actually finished 6 spreads, and 2 more are almost finished today. The end is in sight, and I think it will happen this week. Amazing...

So, why am I sharing these little rocks? Don't know, except that they, and lots of others that I have collected here and there over time, are just a few of the lovely little bits of "stuff" that litter my studio and my house, and keep me happy, because they are so pretty. When I look at these, and pick them up and roll them around in my hand a little, I can remember that pebbly beach on the north shore of Lake Superior where I gathered them. I remember seeing my husband down the beach in one direction, and my daughter and her dog down the beach in the other direction. It was October, blustery and cold and totally beautiful. Nice place to return to, mentally, if even for a few minutes. Maybe that's why I'm toodling along, having fun finishing the artwork, and not feeling the least bit grouchy today.

4 comments:

Indigo Blue said...

Consie, I have a few pebbles in my studio too. Just nice to hold, cold, roll-in-the-hand kind of things.
Glad to hear you were able to settle into your work. I am still struggling... with a December deadline for art!
Maybe I'll go hold a pebble for comfort too.

Marilee said...

I collect rocks, too, Consie! (Well, small ones, anyway...) I remember always trying to find agates around Lake Superior when I was a kid. Never found one, but I still have a nice collection!

Marilee

Breadwig said...

I collect rocks as well with my daughter. The best beach for this is totally up on Lake Superior, we found awesome ones to polish when we were there a few months ago.

janet said...

My husband calls them "rocks of distinction." It makes beach combing sound more important when you say you are searching for rocks of distinction.