No fur, no slobber...


Talk about faithful companions: these guys are in my studio 24/7. They are my oldest buddies in there, and they never shed, and don't slobber or make any kinds of mess. (They also don't talk much, and are rather inanimate, but hey, gotta take the minuses with the plusses!) And together, they are nearly 100 years old! Fredricka (sporting her original coat, but not her original eyes) came to me for Christmas when I was 5, so she's already past 50. I (thought I) wanted one of those big 3-foot dolls, but Santa, in his wisdom, brought me Fredricka instead. She keeps my rocking chair warm for me. And the little pink one who supervises from my lamp is Meroink. She arrived in my stocking when I was 10, a little Steiff piglet. I named her Meroink because my mom had made me a leopard-spotted nightie for Christmas that year, and then she made the little pig a matching nightie. So the name's a combination of cat and pig voices. She lost her thin curly tail some time ago (the rubber just dried up and fell off) and I don't quite remember what did a job on her right ear. But her eyes are bright, her nose is keen, and her heart is definitely in the right place. Somehow, these guys help make the creative juices flow (plus they're just good company!)

7 comments:

leanne said...

Oh, this is so touching! I love them! Love their stories too! What wonderful studio companions. Makes me think of the Pooh Corner we had at the public library when I was a kid, with old, much loved stuffies.

John said...

Oh how lovely! It must be inspiring to have reminders of your own childhood in your studio.

Just goes to prove the point that "children's" illustrators don't work for kids, but for the kid inside us.

June said...

These much loved toys reflect the affection you invested in them, and look so charming and happy in your workplace.
Little things like these around us are sure to enhance the atmosphere and help make happy artwork.
(I'm making excuses for the many softies that I have, some old, some new... can you tell!)

Love that piggie.
June

Marilee said...

Loved seeing your childhood stuffed animals! I'm almost tempted to do a post on my old bear,"Fuzzy" Bear, who is about 50 years old, too, but not really fuzzy any more. (I was really hard on him.) Your Fredricka is in pretty good shape for her age and I love your piggy's name, Meroink!

You know, these childhood things are still a lot of comfort, even after all these years.

Marilee

polkadots said...

My given name is Fredricka. I was named after my grandfather Fred and never liked it but like it very much as a bear name. How did your Fredricka get her name?
Freddie Levin

Consie said...

I'm not sure where the name came from - just can't seem to remember back that half a century, plus. My guess is that, as a 5 year old, I heard it somewhere, and then decided that it was the name for my new friend. I'm sure my Fredricka is happy to share her name with somebody creative like you, Freddie!

Laura J. said...

I am so happy to hear about other "grownups" who are still atached to their childhood stuffed friends. I will have to post a pic of my beloved "Bubba". He was one of those dolls with all the zippers and snaps (and a wicked metal belt buckle that gave me several serious scrapes)and he was round. When I got him I called him my word for "ball"-Bubba. Slept with him every night until he was replaced by my husband. :-> (Yes that's right-into my twenties. :->)