Leanne's Studio Beasts

Well, these are the only beasts currently in my studio, except for the multitude of spiders. Supposedly that means my house is pesticide free. I don't know. I feel bad that they spin webs in all the corners and I know that with it freezing outside, and my lack of flying cockroaches inside, they are bound to waste away to nothing.

Unlike these two. Asterix (black and white female) and Méménou (black male) are both 5 yrs old. My ex and I got them at the petshop (bad us, we really DID try to adopt kittens at the SPCA... we were afraid to get an older cat because I already had a dog) the same day, but they are obviously not from the same litter. Asterix (my ex's... for heaven's sakes I don't name my cats after comix) is fat and affectionate, often lying on my arms (lap) as I try to work at the computer. Méménou is my dog's kitty. He is thin, wiry, has two extra thumbs on each foot, and crossed eyes. He is more into dogs than people, though when he wants affection he will run after you, bapping you and biting your calf. They both have the run of my studio, and incredibly enough, unlike the spiders, do not go on my drawing table. Who knows why. They sit on the kitchen table, the top of the fridge... They aren't really friends, though they SOMETIMES share the same surface. More often if it is too dastardly outside to play, Méménou gets bored and will harrass Asterix while she shrieks. They are pretty good kitties who don't destroy much at all, though Méménou has a "marking problem" ack.
Here is Méménou with his "mommy", my dog Muesli. I got a kitten after my older cat died of cancer, hoping that within a couple weeks he'd put up with a dog in the house. Well, within an hour of bringing him home, he had decided Muesli was his mom, and was trying to suckle. Even after five years, when Méménou finds Muesli lounging about, he gives her a massage. It is the single cutest thing in my life.

And here is my doggy Muesli, who passed away at nearly 11 yrs old three weeks ago, on Friday October 13. She was my huge big baby, and I loved her to pieces and I think the feelings were returned. She was my constant companion, and the sweetest friendly dog I've met. Very laid back, but also stubborn. She was such a good dog, she knew from day one when I moved into my new apartment, that the rules from the last apartment stood: no doggy in the studio. What with depositing about a pound of fluffy fur every time she shook, and being the jackson pollock of drool, I couldn't have her next to the computer and artwork. But she was always around breathing heavily down the hall, knocking on the door to come in from outside as soon as I started a difficult wash, forcing me to take breaks on long deadline workdays. I miss her dearly.

5 comments:

farah said...

Leanne,The story of Memenou as a kitten and Muesli was so touching.It breaks my heart to read that your sweet pup passed away. She was such a beautiful dog and you can tell she had such a big heart.I am so sorry for your loss! Memenou must miss her also...

Consie said...

Leanne - I am such a sucker for big dogs; I just can't get enough of seeing those dear photos of Muesli. I love seeing the kitties too. I grew up with kitties, and we had a wonderful old kitty years ago, but haven't had kitties in our household for a long time. The photo of the snugglers puts me in mind of Zaagi, my grown daughter's Newf, who is muchly snuggled by Virginia's two kitties, Zion and Zorro (see a pattern in names there...?) But, oh, that lovely big furry dog face. I love it...

John Nez said...

Very charming pet menagerie you have there... and the stuff of a children's book I'd think, the adoptive kitty and the St. Bernard.

MJM said...

Leanne, I love cats but I loooooove dogs. Muesli was beautiful and obviously adored. You gave her a long and happy life.

I lost my beloved Golden Retriever 5 years ago and I still choke up every time I think of her. When she died of liver cancer I learned for the first time that a "broken heart" was not just a figure of speech, but a true physical pain.

Breadwig said...

I don't think I've ever seen a more huggable looking dog.