Got Clutter?


Is this more like your studio? Now be honest...

I find the dust kitties themselves are difficult to capture in a picture unless it's early morning and the sun is shining directly on them. But the generalized chaos seems to be inevitable... but let me add that I KNOW where everything is in all this! Creativity is by nature associated with chaos, that's my theory. I've seen scientific studies to back up this notion.

I understand that the painters of the late 19th century, around the time of the Hudson River School, considered the layers of dust in their studios to be an additional aesthetic... so I guess that's the best way to look at it.

The problem is it's hard to clean around so many accumulated items all jumbled together. Another problem is that piles and piles of drawings (our stock in trade) tend to totally swallow up even large studio tools like rulers and pencils. It's a jungle out there!

I have a hard & fast rule though... when I spend more time looking for things than I do doing things, it's time to really clean up. It's fun to uncover the chronological layers. 'Oh! There's a drawing from 2 weeks ago! Oh... I remember when I was sketching that. Oh that! I've forgotten all about that...'

A sedimentary record of time passing in the studio.... just some of the Dust of my Everyday Life.

3 comments:

June said...

I'm missing a CD John, it isn't under that pile of stuff by any chance is it?

I've rummaged through all my stuff hunting through it, so thought I might as well look through yours too!

June :oD

Liza Woodruff said...

Okay, John- if I could find my digital camera in here, I'd give you a glimpse! That should give you some idea.

leanne said...

Haha! That is GREAT! That is TOTALLY what my studio looks like ! And just today I lost the drawing I was working on when I tried to "tidy up" for someone coming over. eek!